|On September 29, 1938, Ikoyi Club 1938 officially came into being through the merger of the then European Club and the defunct Lagos Golf Club and the Incorporation was entrusted to three nominated trustees namely, sir Donald Kingdom , Henry Stewart Feggeltoi, and David Duncan Gibb. The membership from inception comprised adults and junior members; that profile has been kept to date. The main objective of the founding fathers was to foster global harmony through recreation to a larger extent that has been maintained.
The European Club was first located on the site of what is today the Ikoyi Hotel which was then the Ikoyi Government Guest House. Also know as the Catering Rest House. When the club moved to its present premises, the Guest House swimming pool, described as nothing more than a brick built tank, remained the property of the club until sold to Ikoyi Hotel in 1961.
The Lagos Golf Club moved from No. 18 Race Course Road to the present location in 1927, and at one time also occupied the land on which the Federal Secretariat now stands. The Club House at that time was located on the ground now behind the 10 th tee box.
Although there were various sporting activities in existence apart from Golf and Swimming, there were no other section; all sporting activities were classified as “other sport.” However, with the increasing number of members and sophistication of patrons, there was the need to reclassify the other sports in order to accord them the desired recognition to meet the need of members